Frequently Asked Questions
What is Milky Lane doing to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
- We have implemented mandatory hand sanitising for all customers.
- Staff wash and sanitise their hands for 20 seconds at least every 20 minutes.
- Specific training modules for staff have been launched, and staff have been trained practically in the workplace.
- Every Milky Lane restaurant has educational best practice notices for its staff and drivers, in accordance with the World Health Organisation and the Department of Health’s regulations.
- Every staff member, including our delivery drivers, are screened for symptoms daily.
- We have implemented No-Contact Delivery and No-Contact Collect (i.e. Kerbside Collect) services which ensure that our customers do not need to come into physical contact with our staff if they use these services.
- Third-party drivers have their temperature checked and also fill out a register. Drivers with a high temperature or any other symptoms of COVID-19 are denied entry and cannot deliver. The third-party delivery company is immediately notified.
Do your staff wear gloves?
- Gloves are more likely to carry pathogens than hands that were washed thoroughly.
- Wearing gloves creates a false sense of security and could lead to staff relaxing the strict hygiene standards we uphold at Milky Lane.
- The person wearing the gloves cannot feel dirt or grease on their gloves, which means that they change them less often than they would wash dirty hands.
- The wrong sized glove could tear or puncture leading to food contamination due to exposure to skin.
- Contamination from the gloves could cause cross-contamination if they touched any other surfaces.
- Wearing gloves in our kitchen may cause perspiration of the hands and lead to ideal conditions for bacterial growth on the skin under the gloves.
Do your staff wear masks?
- The wearing of cloth masks is a legislated requirement for all South Africans.
- No one is allowed to enter our restaurant premises (including our staff, delivery teams, suppliers, or inspectors) if they are not wearing a cloth mask.
- Milky Lane receives cloth masks from local suppliers. We do not use surgical masks in our restaurants as this will reduce the availability of surgical masks to our brave healthcare workers.
- All our restaurants are fitted with Perspex screens between customers and cashiers to further reduce risk of infection.
Do all Milky Lane restaurants promote regular and thorough handwashing by employees or customers?
- Hand sanitiser dispensers are available for all drivers and staff.
- Restaurants display posters promoting regular handwashing and sanitising.
- Staff have access to places where they can wash their hands with disinfectant soap and hot water.
- Drivers are provided with personal hand sanitisers for regular use on delivery trips.
What protocols does Milky Lane follow when a staff member becomes ill with COVID-19?
- Staff members that display symptoms of COVID-19 are instructed to self-isolate for at least 10 days or until symptoms have cleared, as per the Department of Health’s regulations.
- Our staff are working in separate teams which have minimal physical contact with each other. Should one of our team members start to display symptoms, the entire team will be isolated and sent for testing.
- Depending on the severity of the case, we might have to close our doors to sterilise the restaurant and reopen with approval from the Department of Health.
How does Milky Lane make sure its restaurants are clean and hygienic?
- Cleaning schedules are followed daily.
- All food contact surfaces are cleaned and washed as and when necessary (during and/or immediately after the handling of food to prevent cross-contamination.
- Regular deep cleaning. This requires all equipment and surfaces to be thoroughly washed with soap and water.
What are Milky Lane’s standard operating procedures when it comes to product handling?
- Milky Lane prides itself in the strict personal hygiene practices supported by our Food Safety Policies under the regulation of the Department of Health (Regulation 638).
How is Milky Lane promoting social distancing?
- Floor markers indicating a 1.5m distance between workstations are in place.
- Depending on the size of restaurant and the number of floor markers that assist with social distancing, we only allow a limited number of customers inside.
Are all restaurants open, and what are the trading hours?
- Due to changing regulations around curfews and hotspots, certain restaurants may not be trading at all, or only for limited times of the day.
- To see which restaurant is open in your area and what their trading hours are, download the Milky Lane app or visit https://app.milkylane.co.za/
What is No-Contact Delivery?
- A procedure that allows customers to receive their orders without making physical contact with the drivers.
- All delivery bags are sanitised and wiped down before and after each order is delivered.
- Online payments are encouraged, as this means zero contact. However, our process still caters for those who choose to pay with a card or cash.
- Our drivers carry a personal hand sanitiser bottle on every trip.
- Upon arrival at the delivery address, our driver will maintain a safe physical distance from the customer at all times, and hand over the meal with no physical contact with the customer.
What is No-Contact Collect (Kerbside Collect)
- The customer will receive their meal through our strict no-contact handover process, without having to disembark their vehicle.
- Customers may opt-in to receive this service for any orders placed via the Milky Lane app, website or by phoning the restaurant directly.
- Upon checkout, the customer will provide their vehicle details.
- Upon arrival at the restaurant, the customer will notify the restaurant where they have parked either through the Milky Lane app or via the link in their confirmation SMS.
- A staff member will then bring the order out to the customer in the parking area and hand over the meal while following our no-contact handover process.
- Kerbside Collect is available at selected restaurants only due to parking area restrictions. Check the Milky Lane app or visit https://app.milkylane.co.za/ to see the participating restaurants in your area.
Is there a designated eating area for eat-in customers?
- Most restaurants are able to accommodate a limited number of customers who wish to sit down and enjoy their meals in the restaurant.
- Due to government regulations around social distancing and the maximum number of people permitted on our premises, some restaurants may not be able to accommodate eat-in customers.